Go International Careers
Register With Us
Our Esteemed Universities
Untitled Document
The U.S. Government permits people who are not American citizens or U.S. green card holders to study in the USA. Any person who is not a U.S. resident can apply to study in America. The person has to obtain a student visa before he or she can start a course of study in the U.S.

In general, a student visa permits the foreign nationals to engage in American language schools, high schools, universities, and other institutions of higher education in the U.S. Each year, thousands of students come to the U.S. from around the world to study and advance their skills. To obtain a student visa, the applicant must initially be admitted to a U.S. school or university before commencing the visa procedure. The foreign students can live in the country for as long as they are enrolled in.

The U.S. Government has a number of programs that provide many learning opportunities to overseas students. For further information on US higher education opportunities, visit the Department of State Education USA website.

If you are planning to attend a full course of study in the United States For academic studies or language training programs, you will probably require an F-1 foreign student visa

Visa Details
F1 visa is a non-immigrant category that authorizes foreign students’ entrance into the United States to study at academic high schools, conservatories, colleges, universities, and institutions with language training programs. Issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), F-1 visa is valid generally for the period of study, including grace time.

It is possible for an F1 visa holder to transfer from one institution to another or switch academic programs by informing the alteration to the USCIS. The F-1 status holders can travel in and out of the country, or stay in the country continuously until the completion of their studies.

The dependents of F-1 receive F-2 visa status. The F-2 visa is available for spouse and minor children of the F-1 visa holders. An F2 dependent visa holder can stay in the United States as long as the principal F1 holder remains in legal status.

On F1 student visa, you are able to apply for change of status. The most accepted change is F1 to H1B visa. Other options such as M-1 visas and H-3 visas are also available.

Conditions for  F-1 visa
In order to qualify for F-1 visa, the applicants must
  • Be well-versed in English, unless the applicants are entering the United States to join an English language training course. Some schools have special programs to teach them English.
  • Show that they have enough funds to complete their study.
  • Be coming to attend a full course of study by a school accepted by the USCIS to sponsor foreign students.
  • Have Form I-20 issued by their institution.
Beginning the F1 visa process :
Choose a college or university that is approved to accept foreign students and submit your application. When the institution approves your application, it enters all details about you into the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). The college will then send you the Form I-20 that you will require to receive your visa.

Obtaining your visa :
To apply for an F1 visa at your home country, follow the steps outlined below:

  • Submit the signed Form I-20 to the nearest US Consulate. If you are in the US on another nonimmigrant visa, you can apply for “adjust status” to F-1. In this case, you must submit I-20 Form and a Form I-539 to the USCIS;
  • Submit Completed Form DS-156 (application for a nonimmigrant visa);
  • Show original valid passport (valid for at least six months);
  • Pay the necessary visa fee;
  • Prove evidence of financial support;
  • Show the permission letter from the school/college you plan to study in;
  • Submit a statement that you will leave the United States after the completion of your schoolwork; and
  • Show evidence of permanent residence in your home country, which you do not intend to abandon.

Note: The Form I-20 will never promise receipt of an F-1 student visa. Your local consulate officer makes the final decision on the issue of your visa.

Employment regulations
An F1 student is legally allowed to work 20 hours per week on campus. F1 status holders suffering from economic hardship can secure off-campus employment. These students must acquire an employment authorization document (a work permit) before beginning any off-campus employment.
"The following guide will answer most of your Study Abroad questions. If you don't find what you're looking for here, email us and we'll do our best to find the answer…"
Read More
I cannot explain in words how much Mr. Ramesh Pathi has helped me with the entire college process. On the very first meeting, Mr. Ramesh gave me a list of various check points for colleges that would need to be completed by certain dates. This really helped me to not procrastinate or miss any requirements or deadlines. Mr. Ramesh was always available to answer any questions and proof-read my applications (he even tests!). I greatly appreciate Mr. Ramesh’s help, and do not know what I would have done without his help."
-Archana Manchala Patel

Go international careers is a reliable and trustworthy organization which has transformed my dreams into reality. Their overseas education counseling is highly appreciable. Also, their services beginning from filling up the application form up to landing in the United Kingdom are outstanding. I feel extremely happy for the friendly education counseling given by them. Thanks Go International Careers for your excellent support."
- Pathi Teju